Monday, November 21, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

You have a plan for what you are going to do on any particular day, and then life throws you a curve--or even a pitchfork.  Last Sunday after a quick getaway at the lake with friends, I was eager to get back home in time for Kate's last North Central Honors Concert.  After 12 years of violin, I have missed only a handful of the recitals, concerts, solos, and talent shows.  I certainly didn't want to miss one of the "last" anything. 

Traveling down the highway the conversation was lively and light.  On the highway up ahead I saw a large branch in the lane next to ours, and slowed down anticipating that it was going to break or cause the other vehicle to swerve. Within seconds a loud "thwack" rocked the car.  Thinking that we had damage from the branch we pulled over to a nearby gas station.  It was not a branch.  A flatbed truck had also pulled over because drivers had alerted them that there was a problem.




"Excuse me sir, are you missing a pitchfork?"

What happened next was surreal. My friend Anne Jacobs had the presence of mind to snap the photo because who would believe that this would be the result of stray farming equipment at 50-65 miles per hour? Certainly not the farmer, who was a very nice man.  Its just a car, no one was hurt, this is why we have insurance, and I am grateful. I choose gratitude because what else is there? When life throws you a curve--or a pitchfork-- it feels better to me to be grateful rather than paranoid.

Oh, and I even made it to the concert. It was especially beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. The picture is hilarious. I'm so thankful no one was hurt. Yes, that is why insurance exists. You never know when life will throw you a pitchfork!

    ReplyDelete