Monday, May 20, 2013

Finding the Silver Lining

Mom, Chris, me, & Kate
"Every cloud has a silver lining." Loving someone with mental illness is unpredictable, stressful, scary at times, . . .  and also  wonderful. 

There is mental illness in my family (quite a bit in fact if you look closely).  My brother Chris turned 40 this year and he has been managing Bipolar Disorder for 22 years, and its symptoms for much longer.  I am so proud of Chris, but it wasn't always easy being his sister.

For years my parents took Chris from doctor to doctor to control his "hyperactivity" and "mood swings" and "imagination." Something was different, maybe wrong with him.  His symptoms added stress to our family.  He was Chris, I thought, what more did they need to know?

Once when I was 16 my new friend spent the night at my house after a late evening.  Chris (5 years old) had never met her before and did not know we had an overnight guest.  In the morning she came downstairs in her black pajamas with her long brown hair frizzed out from hairspray and sleep. Chris rushed to the sink and filled a glass of water and threw it on her.  He thought she was the wicked witch from Oz.  It's funny now.

I remember setting my alarm to watch the Smurfs cartoon on Saturday mornings in the dorm lobby when I went out of state to college.  It helped us both with separation anxiety.  We loved doing that together even when we were apart.

Then the phone call when he was hospitalized for the first time.  The supervised visits to a locked unit, with doctors I didn't always trust and medication with horrific side effects.

Sometimes life is like a dark cloud that bocks out the sun, but if you look very closely you will see a ray of sunshine on the outer edge of the cloud. It is the silver lining. It represents the hope that there will be better days ahead. 

The silver lining in loving my brother and living with mental illness in the family is it formed me into a compassionate and nonjudgmental person.  These qualities clearly help me in my role as a psychologist, but they have also been handy in my roles as daughter, wife, mother, citizen, and friend.  I have also met some incredible people that have helped me and my brother journey together.  People like Bonnie Dunn at Transition House in Norman, and Gail Isreal with NAMI Oklahoma. 

Have you watched the movie Silver Linings?  I watched it Friday night at the urging of my daughters.  I loved it- it made me laugh, and cry (always a good thing for me in a movie) added bonus -the psychiatrist is helpful and not very nutty.
 


Do you have a silver lining in loving someone with mental illness?  Please share! 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful, personal story. As your friend, I'm grateful you've been able to find the silver lining that gives you qualities so few possess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandi for your sweet comment. I appreciate your loyal readership and your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the movie Silver Linings, and I have to admit it gave me a new perspective of and new appreciation for what people with mental illness must deal with. Thank you for sharing a very personal story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you got to see the movie, I think it handled the topic with great dignity and realism.

      Delete
  4. Ah, Lisa. It makes perfect sense how your brother's illness shaped you into the lovely person you are today! And I'm glad that you found Silver Linings Playbook worth watching. (I keep trying to convince my dad to watch it because he is a psychiatrist who is obsessed with ballroom dance. And he uses dance in his therapy with young people! IT'S THE PERFECT FILM FOR HIM!) Anyway, SLP did such an amazing job of portraying the danger, sorrow, and humor of mental illness. I'm not expressing this very well, but I appreciated how the film showed mental illness as a complex and unpredictable condition that involves entire families and communities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Dad should definitely watch Silver Linings Playbook it IS the perfect film for him! I loved so much about the relationships and how recovery is possible. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Please thank Chris for me for his part in your evolution to who you are today! And is it my imagination, or are you the spittin' image of your mom??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and reading my blog. Yes, I may bear a slight resemblance to my mother :).

      Delete
  6. Nice way to shift perspective! It's easy to overlook how our lives' challenges help shape us in positive ways. I'll have to watch that movie now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that you enjoy it- I got it through red box, nifty system! Thanks for visiting my blog, hope you come back again!

      Delete