|Sherry and the forbidden fruit /Santa Fe 2013|
Remember field trips when you were a kid? Waking up in the morning knowing there was no school just the anticipation of adventure? This month I am signing your permission slip to let your inner artist play on artist dates (mini field trips) either virtual or real. The concept of artist dates was first articulated by Julia Cameron in her workshops and book The Artist’s Way. The point is to step outside of your comfort zone and experience something different. We are trying to generate that buzz of excitement that comes from a change of venue, a free afternoon to explore.
Think about a place that you are curious about. Maybe it is an antique store that you pass every day on your way to work, but you have never gone in. What about that drop in art class that you have thought “someday . . . “ You now have a special invitation to go- nurture your creative spirit that has been cooped up all winter interacting with the same people and the same visual field. There are no rules on these field trips, except that you take them. Let your creative self step outside of the box and experience fresh ideas, new ways of thinking or moving.
Here is a brainstorm of possible artist dates:
- See one of the Oscar award winning films.
- Go to a local festival, music event, art walk, play, or museum.
- Choose a fantasy mentor. Take time to read their books, watch their videos, and learn about their life as an artist.
- Crank up the music and dance like no one is watching.
- Play with Pinterest and invent a new board to inspire your creativity.
- Take a walk with someone else’s iPod, expose yourself to new music.
- Blog hop for more ideas on artist dates, or Kristen Nader’s blog- she writes anywhere and takes great photos.
- Take a road trip and stop at quirky roadside shops.
- Experience a religious service that is not your own.
- Have a technology free day.
I hope you will join me in the discovery of fresh concepts and renewed energy this month. I would love to hear where you have gone – please leave a comment or if you are shy, send me an email and I will post it for you anonymously email@example.com