Monday, May 5, 2014

Mindfulness Mondays: Embracing the "Experience" with bonus Blog Hop

h/t bored panda
Dee Dee Chumley posted this priceless quote last week: 

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

Credited to Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture) and can also be found on the wall of Jimmy John's sandwich shops all across the country.

We all get our share of "experience." How you respond is what makes the difference.  Will you grow and persevere or will you give up? 





This week I will embrace the opportunity to grow through my experiences. 


Bonus Blog Hop:  Last week I was asked to participate in a "blog hop" by my wise friend and critique partner Mari Farthing. She sent me five questions regarding the writing process and encouraged me to "tag" another blogger for you to visit next week who will answer the same five questions.  

Welcome to my stop on the hop

What are you working on?
Over the past ten years I have been working on improving my writing and developing a sense of community with writerly friends/colleagues. My current obsession focus is on my NICE ADVICE series, “because all problems feel big when you are little and every caring parent wants to help.” The stories are a blend of fiction and nonfiction, addressing topics related to feelings, families, friendship, and school.  Each book encourages parent and child to cuddle up, read aloud, and begin the conversation. 

This past weekend at the Oklahoma Writers Federation, Inc (OWFI) I had an “experience.” A talented editor/agent informed me that my series was actually geared toward Early Reader (think Junie B Jones) versus Picture Book (Where the Wild Things are). This shift will require expansion, revision, and a great deal of work.  I’m very excited about the challenge- many thanks to Maria Vicente.

How does your work differ from other of its genre?
There are some very good traditional “counseling books” on the market but I typically use nontraditional books in my private practice.  A strong story and a relatable character is what works in making a child feel comfortable talking about difficult things. 

Why do you write what you do?
I write children’s books to provide a positive experience between parent and child.  My mission in my psychology practice/writing is advocacy, empowerment, and healing. 

How does your writing process work?

I struggle with finding the time to balance all the things that I love, and imagine this is a lifelong juggle. My “sweet spot” time for writing/blogging seems to be morning to get thoughts out of my head and onto the page, and revision always goes smoother in the evening. 

The next stop on our blog hop is Shel Harrington.  Shel is not only the divorce lawyer who hates divorce she is also a humorous writer who loves marriage.  Please send some blog love her way on Monday, May 12 to find out more about her writing process.