Friday, June 13, 2014

The Cookie Project: Impossible Chocolate-Scotchie Chip Cookies


If you give a counselor a cookie . . .  she will want the recipe (and a story to go with it!)

Welcome to The Cookie Project!  Summer is heating up and while most people might crave ice cream I have a seasonal hankering for cookies.  All kinds of cookies.  The serving size is built right in!  I hope you will follow along with some creative kitchenry as I collect cookie recipes and stories from awesome people. By the end of the summer we will have a cookie cookbook- and learn a lot about the sentimentality of sweets. My goal is to make every single recipe in my "test kitchen" so if you live close by I will be happy to share samples!

Why cookies? All of my childhood summers were spent in Texas, visiting my multi-talented and super special Grammy.  One of her many remarkable talents was baking.  Cookies.  All kinds of cookies.  Goodness stored  in an airtight rectangular Tupperware safely stored at the top of her Frigidaire. The container was originally designed to fit a Texas sized sheet cake, but Gram found a higher purpose. I can still smell the mix of sugar, butter, and morsels that welcomed me each time I  peeled back the lid.  Just one more . . .

"Scotchies" were one of my favorite Grammy specialties. They were a combination of the usual cookie base ingredients plus oatmeal and butterscotch morsels.  I am still searching for the original recipe, and will let you know when I find it.  My Pinterest search led me to another nostalgic fun fact - Although Grammy liked to bake "from scratch" she was also a big fan of Bisquick.  We used to giggle together over the recipe titles on the back of the Bisquick box. "Impossible Peach Cobbler" - we wondered "what's so impossible about it?" I couldn't resist this Pinterest Board recipe that called for Bisquick with a suggestion to add butterscotch morsels.  I have renamed it "Impossible Chocolate Scotchie Chip Cookies."

Impossible Chocolate-Scotchie Chip Cookies

1 stick of butter, softened (1/2 Cup)
1 Cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (McCormick's does not have corn syrup!)
1 egg
2 3/4 Cups Bisquick Baking Mix
1 Cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli- yum)
1 Cup Butterscotch morsels (I thought about 1/2 cup but-sometimes more is better)


Preheat your oven to 375 and don't worry about greasing your cookie sheets. Grammy always put on her apron while she baked, so you if you have one put it on.  In a large bowl: mix butter, sugar, vanilla, and egg. Now add your Bisquick Mix, and chips.  Scoop rounded teaspoonfuls onto your cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cookies are done when they look a little golden.  Let sit on cookie sheets briefly transferring to wax paper for cooling.

The Pinterest recipe that inspired this recipe was created by Stephanie Parker from Birmingham Alabama. She is an author, blogger, and columnist who cooks "real food." Take some time to visit her blog and Pinterest Boards- you will be in good company.  Ms. Parker has over 4,000 followers and may be the next Pioneer Woman!

Happy Summer and happy baking